Monday, March 12, 2007

South Carolina Trip

This Bald Eagle was hanging out in the tree right outside my room one morning. We saw 5 or 6 of them while we were down there. They are simply magnificent . . . enormous and graceful.
One day we went on a gator hunt. We went tromping through this wildlife refuge, just walking on the trails. These gigantic alligators were just hanging out next to the trails, by the water. I was too scared to get any closer than like 30 feet but we could have walked right up and petted them (although it wasn't recommended). It was awesome.
This spider was on the floor next to my bed one night. I was laying there very close to being asleep and then I saw it and was all of a sudden very much not even close to being asleep. That is a AA battery. This sucker was a monster - probably half tarantula. And that was South Carolina!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea South Carolina was home to such a wide variety of wildlife - wow! Here's my question ... did you actually put that battery right by that spider?

The Dellie said...

Heck no I didn't. You kidding? (My roommate did).

Anonymous said...

That would be a wolf spider, that one is a baby compared to the ones that are in the midwest... They grow to be almost 4 inches in diameter! Wow! I think they are related to those darn tarantulas though...

Anonymous said...

Woah that spider's huge!!! I am amazed you survived that ordeal. it could have eaten you alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!