Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Language of God

I love reading. I read a LOT. I read all kinds of books. Fiction and nonfiction. Lighthearted and heavy. Adventure books, self-help, memoirs, novels and biographies. I like to switch it up a lot just to stay interested. So with the latest book I chose, I seem to have caused myself quite a conundrum.

I just finished reading a book that caused me to question some basic things I have always believed. The Language of God is a fascinating look at evolution through the eyes of Francis Collins, one of this country's most well-respected scientists. He also happens to be a Christian. He basically lays out his belief, which he calls "Theistic Evolution" or "BioLogos," that God used evolution to create the universe. Darwinian evolution. As in, we share a common ancestor with monkeys. He believes the Big Bang actually happened. He believes the earth is billions of years old. And frankly, even though this might sound to some like liberal garbage, given his professional credentials and scientific track record and the evidence offered in this book, I'm inclined to believe him.

Having been raised in a Christian home, attended a Christian college, and been surrounded by Christians for the majority of my life, I know full well the reaction that ideas like Dr. Collins' usually get. In fact, the few times that I've mentioned this book to some friends, the responses I've gotten include a large amount of skepticism and quite vehement explanations about how evolution is directly opposed to what the Bible says. After reading this book, though, I have to respectfully disagree.

I've always had trouble understanding why the creation account in the Bible and science seemed to be on two completely different pages. No, not even different pages ... more like reading out of two different books. How is it that God would give us the brains and ability to make all kinds of amazing scientific discoveries, and then allow us to get so far off track in our quest to discover where things all began? I'm talking billions of years off track, if you take the Bible literally. This problem has always bothered me. But I never knew what to do about the apparent conflict. Enter Dr. Collins.

Though I still have a lot of unanswered questions, this book has helped me to understand how it is possible to believe what the Bible says AND what science tells us. If you are at all inclined to think about this type of thing, I'd highly recommend you read The Language of God. And when you do, let's chat. I'd be very interested to know what you think.

Oh and one last thing. While some might disagree, I think reading books like this that challenge me to really reason through what I believe and why is a good thing. But ultimately, when it comes down to it, how God created the world doesn't matter to me much. I believe he created the world. I believe he created us. I believe he loves us more than anything else he created. And one day soon I'll be with him forever and be able to ask him all the questions I want. THAT is what is important.

7 comments:

Josh Osborne said...

Very thought provoking Becky. Let me know when you finish the book and your final thoughts. Oops! Gotta run and get the last banana! OOH OOH AH!

Anonymous said...

I finished it, Josh. You should read it!

Hmmm ... I think I missed something with the banana comment.

Anonymous said...

I think Josh is making a funny about evolving from Monkeys! That Josh is funny guy.
It sounds like you were quite challenged with that book. Awesome. Francis Collins has a lot of good stuff to say. His work on the human genome (he led the team that finally mapped it) puts him up there as one the top American scientists. He's got a reputation for mentoring young Christian scientists too, which is a rarity in that field. He took part in a debate with the atheist bulldog Richard Dawkins in which I felt like he won... check it by doing a search on Time magazine's website.
Personally, Becky, I think there is little debate about the age of the earth nowadays. It's quite old. Conversely, for as many scientific discoveries that seem to give credit to evolution, there are far more that break it part. Tom and I went to a conference recently where a professor in evolutionary biology from Cornell spoke about his recanting from the theory (he taught elements of it for most of his tenure). His main point was that natural selection through mutations that serve to better a species are simply drowned out by the amount of negative mutations. So from one generation to the next of any kind of species there will be 300 or so bad mutations that make that species worse off, whereas there might be 2 or 3 that could serve to better it. Through his experiments like this and others, he's come to the conclusion that evolution simply cannot be... at least the odds are stacked against it.

Jay

Josh Osborne said...

Here is an article worth reading. It made me really think twice about the whole issue. -Josh

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v19/i2/narrow.asp

Anonymous said...

Jay, great comments. I read that article but I think I will re-read it. That's an interesting idea about evolution not being possible. I'd like to read more about that too.

Anonymous said...

Interesting article, Josh, but I don't agree with it. They are assuming that a "literal" interpretation of Genesis means 24-hour days. I see no place in the Bible where it says anything about that. The first few days of creation, there was "light," "dark," "evening" and "morning" without a sun. I'd like for those who want to interpret Genesis "literally" to explain that to me. Then I might better understand their 24-hour day, few thousand year old earth claim.

Christer said...

hmm . . . distressing [just as you suspected]. Distressing because I believe (as you mentioned) that what you are asserting DOES directly contradict what the Bible says.

Becky, I know you well enough to know that you wouldn't make claim to a belief like this without feeling as though 1] you have thoroughly examined the subject, and 2] you have plenty of great convincing arguments in you hip pocket ready to defend your belief.

Let me preface this by saying that I don't feel adequately armed with knowledge in this particular area to debate your argument at this point, but I plan to do some studying of my own shortly to 'brush up.'

Also, let me caution you to not make fundamental changes in your beliefs based on on man's findings and his own personal theories. Francis Collins is no doubt brilliant. But this question of evolution vs. creation (or creation through evolution) has been around for a long time. MANY brilliant minds (on both sides) have studied and written about the subject, and I think it's wise to consult many more than one credible source before deciding what you believe. The Devil can be very convincing. the Bible says we must be on guard against his attempts to lead us astray. Just because something makes sense, because it seems to bridge a 'gap' between Christians and others, doesn't mean it's true.

I find it hard to believe that Dr. Collins has somehow come to the 'correct' conclusions about the beginning of earth while so many other great Christian minds have totally missed it and are dead wrong with their interpretations of the Bible.

Like I said, I will look further into the matter for myself and we can talk when I'm more knowledgeable, but as you suspected, right off the cuff I disagree wholeheartedly because of my adversity to ANYTHING that contradicts the Bible.