Tuesday, October 03, 2006

"GO" time didn't.

So I decided to go back to the gym tonight for the first time in probably almost six months. Until now, I didn't realize how much I missed it. Even though I love getting my exercise outside during the summer, I actually really love going to the gym. I always take a good book and once I get into it, the time flies and before I know it, I'm done. Tonight, though, I had a different sort of experience at the gym. And it kind of disturbed me.

I'd been going on the elliptical for about 20 minutes when a lady got onto the machine next to mine. She was 37 (that came up later in the conversation) but looked about 30. The all-American soccer mom. She was very friendly and talkative. We talked a little bit and then she started talking to the man on the other side of her. Even though she was talking to him, I couldn't help but listen to their conversation. All the TV's in the room were set to different stations, and all were on mute, but they were all flashing images of the same two stories: a school shooting that occurred yesterday and a political sex scandal with one of our Congressman. She commented that all the news was so negative and went on to say, "It really makes you think that we are all headed to you-know-where in a handbasket." Then they started discussing why this world is so evil. It was one of those moments where I knew the door was wide open and it would be the perfect opportunity to share my faith, and yet I could not, for the life of me, figure out a good "opener." I ended up just listening to the two of them have a very hope-less conversation, meanwhile being totally frustrated with myself for not being able to take advantage of this opportunity to share my hope with them. I felt like all of the time and effort I've put into studying God's word and trying to understand my faith really didn't matter that much because, when it came down to it - when it was "go" time - I wasn't ready to share my hope.

Feeling like I missed an opportunity to share Christ is frustrating, but knowing I might have let my Lord down is worse. It was a hard way to understand how incredibly far I am from where I want to be in this journey called life. Hopefully God will give me another shot, and hopefully this time I'll be prepared.

"Always be prepared to give an answer to anyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope that you have." 1 Peter 3:15

No comments: